29.3.3 Surface Transportation
The most economical mode of transportation should be used to and from air, bus and rail terminals. Public transportation and shuttle services should be favored. For domestic travels, in principle, only single-round trip transportation fares between the airport and the business destination will be provided even for a travel that includes overnight stay, in order to simplify calculation for reimbursement. NOTE: Original receipts are required for reimbursement of taxi, shuttle, bus, or other ground transportation for fares. If a fare can be substantiated by other tools such as online trip organizer and bus company’s website, no receipt is required.
Employees traveling to the same location should share ground transportation whenever possible.
Use of rental car is permitted, in consideration of security of the travel destination, only if the cost is less than other available modes of transportation or if a valid business reason confirmed in advance by senior staff precludes the use of a more economical mode of transportation.
Accidents involving use of surface transportation during the course of University business, and especially accidents involving rental, University, and personal vehicles for University business, must be reported immediately to the proper authorities, consistent with local/state laws. Supervisor or the University 24-hour emergency service (+81 (0)98 966 8989 ) must be informed as soon as possible of any such accident.
18.104.22.168 Rail, buses and commercial vessels
When traveling by rail, bus or boat, the travel fare applicable depends upon the travelers’ situation and travel location. (Appendices & Table)
22.214.171.124 Rental Cars
When usage of rental car is more economical and convenient than other transportation, or when the security situation at the business destination is bad and the safety of travelers may be hindered, a traveler may rent a car
- Travelers should use standard compact sized vehicle that meets their needs (See the table). Special and luxury vehicles are prohibited unless the business purpose justifies the need and written Supervisor’s approval is received in advance of the transaction. Renting minivans transporting more than 8 passengers is not allowed unless driven by a professional driver.
126.96.36.199.1 Automobile Rental Insurance
Employees traveling on University business should purchase rental car full coverage insurance.
188.8.131.52.2 Other Car Rental Guidelines
- Drivers are responsible for paying for parking violations, speeding tickets, and any other violations incurred when renting a vehicle. These will not be reimbursed by the University.
- When drivers rent a car for a period of time that includes both business and personal use, the total cost of the car rental must be apportioned between business days and personal use days and only usage during the period of time the driver was conducting University business will be reimbursed. The traveler must provide a clear description of the personal and business use (distances and periods). Damages occurring during the personal use period will be fully charged to the traveler.
- Gasoline purchased in conjunction with the professional use of a rental car will be reimbursed. If the reimbursement contains personal use of gas, it will be reimbursed on prorata temporis basis.
184.108.40.206 Personal Vehicles
Authorization to use a personal vehicle for University business (and to be reimbursed for that use) requires a determination that the cost of using a personal car is either less than other available modes of transportation or that there is a valid business reason precluding use of a more economical mode of transportation.
220.127.116.11.1 Travelers will be reimbursed for business use of their personal vehicles at the University prevailing kilometric allowance (Appendices & Table)
18.104.22.168.2 The automobile kilometric allowance assumes coverage of all transportation and operating costs including auto insurance and maintenance, gas, oil. Tolls and parking will be reimbursed in addition to the allowance.
NOTE: Employees will not be reimbursed for any of the following, even if these costs were incurred during business travel:
- car repairs,
- rental car costs during repair of personal car,
- tickets, fines, or traffic violations,
- damage to personal vehicle,
- theft of personal vehicle or vehicle content.
- It is the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle being used for business purposes to carry adequate insurance coverage (mandatory insurance requirement) for their protection and the protection of any passengers.
- When using a personal car for University business, an employee's personal car insurance carrier is the primary insurance carrier.
When a traveler travels in a place with limited access to public transportation, he or she may use a taxi. In such a case, a receipt must be attached when claiming reimbursement.
Use of car service with driver will be arranged only if there is a valid business reasons such as cost safety, efficiency, lack of other mode of transportation by group 1 & 2 (Appendices & Table)
22.214.171.124 University Vehicle
University vehicle can be booked through University’s facility booking system.